Tuesday, August 25, 2009

24 Days...

So since the rest of you are NOT participating in the '40 at 40' idea I thought I would share this one. Christian asked me today that since it's 24 days until my birthday to tell her about a time I stayed up for 24 hours or more. Honestly, even in my wildest days (and yes, there were plenty) I can't say I stayed up for 24 hours. Ummmm, maybe 22 but always got 2 hours of sleep before the next round of partying began. So do you know the time I can honestly say I was awake for 24 hours??? The birth of my son. I remember I was on call in cath lab and had gone in early that morning (it was a Sunday) and worked until my back started hurting me. I was tired so my friend took my call for me (her Mom was here helping paint my nursery) and I went home. Skipped a birthday party for a friend and tried to rest. Between going to the hot tub and back rubs I got NOOOO relief. I called Labor and Delivery asking if they could give me something for gas pains. They said, 'Sure, come on in!'. I realize now they must have been laughing their asses off because they do not administer pain medicine for gas. So Blake and I went in to get pain medicine. They said they need to check me to make sure everything was okay. I gladly agreed thinking my gas pain was an inch away from being gone. They checked and said they were going to give me some pain relief. In the form of an epidural. I was ready to deliver even though Connor wasn't due for another 3-4 weeks. So the epidural went in and 10 hours later Connor was here. Between the visitors and feedings I did not go to sleep until 7 or so that Monday night. So that is the only time I can honestly say I was awake for more than 24 hours.

No comments: